Saturday, June 7, 2008

Question answered

In the preceding blog post, I asked the question "where are you other ninety percent?", in connection with state to state legislation on the illegal immigration problem. Well, here is where some of them are,:

But members of the Senate Judiciary B Committee questioned whether the bill would achieve Geymann's stated aim: Arresting and prosecuting people who transport, and take advantage of, job-seeking immigrants who are in the country illegally.

Committee chairman Danny Martiny, R-Kenner, said the bill could discourage employers from trying to find out an immigrant's legal sts.

"What employer in his right mind is ever going to ask that question?" Martiny asked Geymann.

they're held up in legislative disputes over the language in a given provision of their respective bills. I can respect that; it's part of the democratic process. The key to it all is that states such as Louisiana have recognized the need to deal with the immigration issue effectively. And they're working on it...

And by the way, in case you read me wrongly, unlike Lou Dobbs, everything in me is an immigration restrictionist, and I realize that separates me from others who are against illegal immigration on the basis that all legal forms of immigration are just fine and dandy and healthy for our country. I don't believe that. I do believe that immigration to this country is out of control, and that the best course would be to put a moratorium on immigration until we sort it out. If we are to have a national debate and a national dialogue and a decision about national policy and we make a judgment that we're going to lower immigration levels -- let's say that we reduce them by half, or by three quarters -- sign me up! Otherwise I'd prefer to let the states handle it on their own terms.

0 comments: