Sunday, January 27, 2008

John Savage on the Founding Fathers

This may be the first instance on record at this blog where someone has left a comment to one of my posts which precisely articulates my view of a specific subject, namely the founding fathers, their knowledge and their wisdom.

That commenter is, of course, John Savage, as the post title indicates. And here is what he wrote, which I most definately, though I share his sentiments exactly, could not have said better (or as well) myself:

I've decided that wherever they differ from us moderns, our Founding Fathers deserve the presumption of being correct. Whether it's on Islam, the role of government, interpretation of Scripture, race, or whatever else, we're the children looking up to our great teachers. Where opinions have changed, the burden of proof lies on those who came later. Our situation is parallel to that of the people who painstakingly rediscovered ancient knowledge after the Dark Ages, is it not

And I think John is right, our situation is parallel to that of the people who painstakingly rediscovered ancient knowledge after the Dark Ages.

Thanks to John for stating so well what I've been saying ... not so well ... for a long long time.

2 comments:

Vanishing American said...

Terry, that is a good comment by John Savage.

I've noticed, too, the tendency to try to disparage the Founding Fathers or to diminish their authority by dwelling on their human flaws, but it is obvious to me that they were head and shoulders above most of today's 'leaders' and thinkers.

I have a book of quotes from all the Presidents, and it's striking how the quality of thought expressed in the quotes seems to decline precipitously down through our history.
-VA

Flanders Fields said...

This is a great comment and so true. I can think of no era in history where so many truly intelligent men were gathered and were able to shape a destiny which was lasting - if only the people who succeeded them tried dilligently to keep it.

To fall from the Preamble of the constitution to ..."I did not have sex with that woman....", is what one would have to consider a major decline.