Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Enough of this "de-linking" talk already

(Note: I've added a few thoughts on John Savage's comments to VA's post in the read more section of this post.)

I reported yesterday about VA's recent findings that her blog has now been targeted as a "racist" site, and I mentioned that those of us who often agree with VA's positions, and link up to her as well may be on short-list of decidedly "racist" blogs due to our association with VA.

VA has commented here and at her own blog that she feels bad that some of us may be marked as guilty by association, and that if some of us decide to de-link her, or to disassociate ourselves with her and her blog, then she understands.

Well, I don't understand why she'd be understandable about bloggers like myself abandoning her and/or our traditionalist beliefs because of some nutty self-proclaimed racism watchdog bunch deciding she or I or John Savage or Auster, or whomever is/are racists. I for one am no "fair weather" traditionalist, and I'm certainly not easily intimidated, not even by accusations (or potential accusations) of racism. If I were, I would have never put this blog up to begin with.

No; I won't be "de-linking" from Vanishing American anytime soon irregardless of who calls her racist, or who calls me racist because I link up to her blog. And you can count on that. So, as the post title says, enough of this de-linking talk already!

End of initial post.

I just went over to VA's and read John Savage's comments to that thread where he makes an excellent point that I'll highlight below.

John writes:

Yes, VA, if we were all PC neocons they'd still hate us. Remember, the leftists think Bush is a racist misogynist Christianist theocrat. Some of them have even gotten the impression that he's "anti-immigrant", too.

As you've said before, the attempts by groups like the Minutemen to be PC hasn't gotten them anywhere. So what we must show above all is that we won't be intimidated. Keep up the great work! (emphasis mine)

My thoughts:

Exactly! That leftists still think Bush is a racist misogynist Christianist theocrat just goes to show how nutty and out of touch with reality they are. How could someone like myself ever be even remotely true to traditionalist conservatism without "fear" that some leftist blog or group or whatever wouldn't pin some or all of these labels on me at some point along the way, given their disconnect with reality? The answer is I couldn't. And since it's not acceptable for me to abandon traditionalist conservatism, I'll just stay right here in the kitchen.

Tell ya what, if I decide independently that any of you (whether I'm linked to you yet or not) are racists, then I might consider disassociating myself with you. And while I'm certainly not the most discerning individual out there, I don't believe I'm the least discerning either, by a long-shot even. In other words, I'll make that determination for myself; whether someone is a racist or not.

3 comments:

John Savage said...

Terry, great post. And yes, of course we must all stick together.

BNWW has received no suspicious referrals yet, if my SiteMeter referral data is at all reliable. My anti-leftist-virus software is on full alert. :-)

Michael Tams said...

So we're sticking together and not throwing her under the bus? OK, good to know. You know you're winning the argument when the other side resorts to name calling.

"We shall hang together or we shall all hang separately."

-MT

Terry Morris said...

John, thanks. I don't think it's a great post, but the message is solid: if you have a blog operating under the banner of traditional conservatism, then by definition you're at complete odds with the left, one of whose favorite weapons is accusations of racism. If you don't understand this, or you don't think you can handle it when the heat gets turned up on one of your compatriots, then what are you doing trying to convey such a message in the first place? Like I said, I already knew this was a possibility (even a probability) when I started this blog. Had I any serious reservations about it then, you wouldn't be reading this message now.

Also, I've been trying to track down this site just so I'll have it on my radar. But VA gives us precious little to go on.

Mike, so true. No; I'm not going to throw VA under the bus. And I'm even a little perturbed that she would suggest such a thing. But I forgive her. ;)

Thanks to both of you for the comments.

-Terry