Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Back to the old Grindstone

We finally made it back home "a day late and a dollar short," as they say. I don't have a whole lot to say about our trip, except that it did not go fully as planned despite my best efforts...

Specifically, since it was a work related trip, and since the building we were working on had to be ready to open Monday morning, we were forced to work through the night Sunday, finishing around 5:30 am, Monday morning. Only to find out a few hours later that we were not actually finished with our work, but that we had another room to work on which I'd understood as not originally being on the agenda. What it all boiled down to in the end was poor communication between myself and the agency overseeing the work.

But the worst part of all was that due to this lack of communication, I was unable to attend the event at the State Capitol. In fact, I don't even know whether the event ever even happened as it was scheduled to. I did a quick search on the internet, but didn't find a story.

Other than that, I did manage to make it to the local H.S. football game Friday night where I watched probably the most unimpressive rout of a lesser visiting team in the memorable history of my hometown squad, which has quite the impressive resume and tradition in Class A Oklahoma football. I saw, among other unpleasantries, passes completed for touchdowns that more resembled severly wounded ducks (which hung in the air forever it seemed) than tight spirals. As well as sixty and seventy yard running plays that should have been stopped for little if any gain, so poorly executed were the blocking schemes of the much larger home team. And I'm not being overly critical here, believe me. This team is in for a big surprise as soon as it meets up with a decent football team, which it has yet to do though it boasts a perfect record, and a top ten ranking.

But anyway...

1 comments:

Sebosmile said...

Severly wounded ducks! Lol!

Well, high school football is high school football. (But, as I remember from when I used to live there, that means a lot more in OK then it does up north where soccer/lacrosse has more of a hold.)

My brother's on my town's JV team and his coach often makes me want to slash his tires, etc. (Their last game he suddenly decided to throw my brother out in a position he had never played/practiced in before, and he put a kid who doesn't know free safety for anything in my brother's place. ...Needless to say, didn't work so hot.

Sorry your trip didn't go as planned. And, ah, to joy fo all nighters! Hope you had good coffee!