Monday, August 20, 2007

The Bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki

There's an interesting discussion going on over at VFR today concerning whether or not it is widely known among the American populace that indeed the United States dropped leaflets warning the Japanese inhabitants of the targeted cities concerning what was about to happen, and instructing them on what to do to avoid being eviscerated themselves.

Probably what intrigues me the most about the post and the comments to it is the lack of knowledge about these facts concerning America's handling of the war against Japan. As far back as I can remember I've always known about this very relevant fact, but I did not learn it in school or from a book, I learned these facts from my dad who imparted them to me at a fairly young age. And I just assumed, very wrongly it appears, that this was indeed common knowledge among the American citizenry. I guess it all goes back to what I've said numerous times before here and elsewhere: "never assume nothin'."

But I've learned this morning that LA has started an informal poll on the subject, so y'all go over and participate. I should like to see just how wide-spread this lack of knowledge of these facts is. And I'll be keeping track of the results.



-DW

0 comments: