Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Conservative values ain't dead yet in America!

Indeed, when it comes to protecting the sacred institution of marriage, traditional marriage between one man and one woman, this conservative value is alive and well and gaining in strength ... State by blessed State.

I reported at this site some months back, as I recall, that seventeen States in this union had passed their own marriage amendments protecting traditional marriage, and I even provided a link confirming this number. Well, apparently I was way off on my numbers, as documented here by our friends at CitizenLink.

I don't think I've ever been more pleased to realize that I was wrong than when I learned, just moments ago, of these updated numbers. And by the way, I'm well pleased to be able to offer what I consider to be very good news during a time when there seems to be so little to be encouraged about.

And now, to all our friends in Arizona, I'm encouraged by the news that, as the first state to have rejected a proposed marriage amendment to your constitution, you're now reconsidering the question. As I've argued many many times before, the best and most secure and enduring method of returning to anything even remotely resembling our original and legitimate structure of government, is for the state and local authorities to begin to pick up the slack where the national government has either abrogated its authority, or, has shown itself utterly incapable of protecting basic fundamental societal values and institutions. In my opinion the Federal Marriage Amendment was never a good idea, but I'm also convinced that the question, raised as it was at the federal level, is largely responsible for the number of States which have since created and passed their own marriage amendments to their state constitutions.

Here's hoping that the trend contiues.

2 comments:

Rick Darby said...

Terry,

I've been arguing a lot lately in comments, mainly at VA, that states and localities offer the best possibility for spiking the guns of the federal Panzer Division.

The separation of powers so carefully devised by our founders, following the ideas of Montesquieu, is almost dead for the time being; it's all one interlocking directorate. But federalism lives. It's traditionalist conservatism's best shot.

Terry Morris said...

Rick,

I'm sorry to say that I've missed your comments on this topic over at VA's. But of course I think you stand on very firm ground.

I plan to write a follow-up post on this topic later as your comment has inspired further thoughts on the subject.

Thanks for reflecting a little founding light on the subject! Coincidence? Hmmm... ;-)

-Terry