Wednesday, February 6, 2008

How "conservative" is the Sooner State?

Fellow AFBer Mike Tams indicates here that he is surprised that Republicans in my state went for John McCain in the GOP primaries on Super Tuesday. I guess I understand that he's surprised by this, but I've mentioned numerous times that Oklahoma is only conservative "relative to." Indeed, I'm the most conservative Okie I know, by far.

Anyway, if you want to know how "conservative" Okies are in general, look at how strict our requirements are for registering to vote in Oklahoma:

HOW TO REGISTER

You must fill out a voter registration application form. Voter registration applications are available at your County Election Board, post offices, tag agencies, libraries and many other public locations. You will be offered a voter registration application when you get your driver's license and when you apply for assistance at some government agencies. (emphasis mine)

There you have it. Oklahoma is such a bastion of conservatism that we just cannot wait to get all those conservative residents applying for state assistance signed up to vote in our elections.

Still surprised Mike? ;-)

1 comments:

Michael Tams said...

Ack! Um, yes, and I refuse to change my frame of reference! (A guy's got to be able to hope, why would you take that away?) ;)

-MT