Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Webster's receives "Excellent Blog Award"

I need to acknowledge this as a matter of good form for the moment. I'll get back to you later with my list of ten excellent blogs, which slightly differs from the others out there.

I want to say thank you to Mike T. over at the AFB, and to Vanishing American (Wow!) for naming Webster's on their respective lists. Also, thanks to John Savage over at Brave New World Watch who gave Webster's the equivalent of "honorable mention" (I hope I'm not misrepresenting John's mention) in his post on the subject. Personally I think John has it about right for a couple of reasons, (1) I don't post frequently enough, and (2) most of my postings are not as "meaty" as they should be to qualify Webster's as an excellent blog. But I am working on improving on that, rest assured.

And on that last note, I've been thinking a lot lately about the call going out to conservatives to save the Republican party as a vehicle for conservatism. Without getting too deep into it right now, let me say that perhaps I need to be reminded (or convinced) why it is I'm supposed to be trying to help save the Republican party? It seems to me that in doing so I'm being asked to yield yet more ground to the liberal elements within the Republican party which incessantly work like a cancer to eat away at conservative principles, installing liberal principles in their rotted out places; that it is not the liberal factions which are being asked to back off a bit, but the conservatives. Can someone explain to me at what point in this process the cancerous effects of liberalism cease to make further advances within the Republican party?

At what point does the congregation rise up and demand adherence to the principles of orthodoxy on the threat of leaving the church en masse?

I suppose each of us has his breaking point, or his tolerance threshold. In the case of the Repbublican party and its continual slide into liberalism, I think I've just about reached mine.

I'll try to get back to this subject later, but in the meantime, I'd appreciate any input you might have, agreeable or disagreeable to my main premise. Thanks.

2 comments:

Vanishing American said...

Terry, you deserve both the awards.

As to your thoughts about conservatism's future in the GOP, or the Party as a vehicle for conservatism, I've been thinking a lot about that in the wake of Super Tuesday. I've been reading all the commentary around the internet, from the MSM and the bloggers, and the cry is already going up: we have to get behind McCain or the sky will fall. We must avoid a Democrat win, so stop being 'purists' and get with the program. On the other hand, I am also reading more rumblings of mutiny from the actual conservatives who are fed up with being taken for granted and asked to participate in the undermining of our principles.
I for one don't think we should yield, this time. Now is no time to give in; let the GOP sink or swim without us, is my feeling. We have to stand for principle sometime, and our country is at a crossroads now.
-VA

Michael Tams said...

Maybe it has to get worse before it gets better? Sure seems like that.

Terry, VA's right - what's that saying? Earned, never given.

-MT