Friday, July 4, 2008

Beer'n hotdog day!

Today is July 4th, the day that used to be set aside for us to celebrate America's Independence, as I wrote yesterday in the post directly beneath this one. It is sad but true that this is no longer what the holiday means to many (and judging by what I see around me, most) Americans. Perhaps this is not the case in your neck of the woods, but I happen to live in one of the most (comparatively speaking) 'conservative' states and regions in America. So I think the tendency would most likely be that as we move away from the center, this irreverant attitude towards our nation's birthday would become more pronounced.

After returning home late yesterday evening I got online and went to several sites listed in my blogroll, including VFR where this entry had been posted while I was away. In the entry Richard W. complains about the "lowering of standards" in diverse America. But you know what the B.O. supporting preacher said: "our nation's diversity (uh, I meant to say pluralism, sorry) is much more to be celebrated than to be feared" even though, according to B.O., as racial and cultural diversity increases in America, America becomes an ever more dangerous place to live. But I digress...

In his concluding remarks in his email to L.A., Richard writes that he's going to view the "fourth of July" as a day of mourning, with one consolation -- beer and hotdogs are hard to ruin, and I respond:

Richard wrote:

Ah, our America. Happy Forth of July? Hmm. I think I'm viewing it as a day or mourning.

He should be, particularly since the liberalization of America is now so complete and thorough that even patriotic folks like Richard refer to the day set aside for Americans to celebrate the great epoch of our nation's independence as "the fourth of July" without a second thought, not even to whom he's speaking to.

And L.A. replies to my response to Richard's remarks:

Isn't Mr. Morris being a little tough on Richard W.? Yes, of course, the proper name for the holiday is Independence Day; I personally often use that name when others are calling it "July Fourth." But it's been commonly called "July Fourth" for an awfully long time, probably going back well into the 19th century, and to suggest that the use of that familiar, even traditional name is a symptom of the much more recent radical liberalization of America is, I think, not correct or fair.

But, you see, this is my point. I'm keenly aware of the fact that the term "fourth of July" is not a new innovation on the proper "Independence Day" in America. Hell, until fifteen years ago or so, I myself used the term, just like Richard, without a second thought as to the implications of what I was saying. Furthermore, I did not suggest that it is a new innovation, nor was I trying to be harsh with Richard W. Indeed, I was trying to give Richard as much credit for his patriotism as I could while showing that his usage was/is improper and an indication of how deep our nation has sunk into the abyss of liberal domination (seriously, what force would my argument have in the absence of granting Richard's patriotism and love of country?; if Richard were not, in my opinion, a patriotic American, then what would be the point of my using him as an example of the extent of the problem as I see it?). But because I dared point out that Richard's usage of the improper "fourth of July" is indication of a deeper problem in America than what actually shows up on the surface, I'm declared to be unfair to Richard.

My apologies to Richard if I offended him, but frankly being fair to Richard is among the least of my worries on this day.

Y'all enjoy your beer and hotdogs.

0 comments: