Thursday, September 6, 2007

Books I'm currently reading, cont.

(Note: this post has been edited from its original, and is likely to undergo other revisions shortly.)

I just received my copy of Government by Judiciary, The Transformation of the Fourteenth Amendment, by Raoul Berger, yesterday. My copy is the second edition, hard-bound, and new, though the book is currently out of print. This book came highly recommended to me by Mr. Auster, whom I thank. I sat down and read about six chapters yesterday evening, and indeed, Auster was right when he said I would be in for an "experience."

In addition to that book, I'm still reading the two I mentioned the other day. Also, with all the discussion on Islam, I've gone back to re-read Secrets of the Koran, by Don Richardson. Richardson's book deals with the unique nature of Islam to preclude any attempt to reach its converts by the redemptive analogy method.

One other work I've been lately revisiting is Norman Geisler's Systematic Theology, which encompasses four volumes. Another work of Geisler which is complimentary to, well, all of the aforementioned books is Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics. As to the latter two books in particular, I began a system of cross-referencing them a couple of years ago, and it's proving very helpful to me in my current pursuits.

All of these will find their way into many of my upcoming posts. Indeed, they've inspired several posts I've already prepared yet haven't yet put up. Y'all stay tuned.

2 comments:

John Savage said...

Still working on the D'Souza book, Terry? What do you think of that now?

Terry Morris said...

John,

Yes; working on it is a good way to describe it. D'Souza started to lose me at around mid-chapter-six or so. After that, D'Souza became more labor intensive.

I don't know whether I mentioned this before, but the way I generally approach reading new books is to read through them quickly, and then decide whether it's worth my time to go back and re-read them a second time employing more focus.

My impression at the moment is that the first four to five chapters of D'Souza (The Enemy at Home) is worth reading. After that, my impression is that it's not very worthwhile, keeping in mind that I've only read a couple of additional chapters to this point.

I'll put together an entry on it later; after I've successfully fought my way through the rest of the book.

-Terry