Thursday, September 6, 2007

Some of us have it, some of us don't, part 2

If you haven't been following the thread over at VFR concerning what is required of Christianity, I would strongly urge you to do so. There, Kristor L. offers us one of the most excellent pieces of Christian Apologetics I have ever had the pleasure of reading. In fact, I think I'm going to add Kristor's initial lengthy comments to my newly added feature in the left sidebar of this blog, Select VFR Articles.

In Kristor's latest, he dismantles the arguments of his critics with a skill and a precision that is rarely to be seen these days.

We've argued these things before over at the AFB and elsewhere. And often times, when I'm asked how I know God exists, my reply is simply this: "I know God exists because of the existence of evil." Which is not to say that I believe evil is a real thing; I don't. Rather, I believe evil is a deprivation of a real thing, absolute good. But the key to it is that by simply being able to distinguish between good and evil, I must have some idea of what pure goodness is, elsewise, how could I make the distinction? In a purely physical universe (devoid of a transcendent God), where all of our observances of the phenomena of nature are marked by imperfections, how could we know that these imperfections are indeed imperfections without some idea of that which is all-perfect?...

0 comments: